Behind the Scenes of NUNO Textiles – Short Films
As part of the current exhibition MAKING NUNO Japanese Textile Innovation from Sudō Reiko, Japan House London invites visitors to the exhibition in the Gallery to enjoy a series of short films featuring exclusive footage of the making of Nuno textiles, produced in collaboration with family-run factories and craftspeople all around Japan.
Filmed by Saitō Seiichi, Director of Panoramatiks (formerly Rhizomatiks) in textile factories located in various regions of Japan, these videos show the day-to-day operation of machinery by factory workers and technicians giving an immersive experience enhanced by the intense sound of the machinery and the dynamism of the technology behind NUNO’s production processes.
The films showing textile mills in the prefectures of Gunma, Yamagata, Fukui, Shiga and Yamanashi were featured as part of the successful show in 2019 at the Centre for Heritage, Arts and Textile (CHAT) in Hong Kong, while the videos filmed in Wakayama and Kyoto are screened for the first time at Japan House London.
*Please note that in order to access the Hall you must book your ticket to the MAKING NUNO Japanese Textile Innovation from Sudō Reiko exhibition.
Textile Mills in Gunma (00:00-04:58); Textile Mills in Yamagata (04:59-09:18); Textile Mills in Fukui and Shiga (09:19-14:14); Textile Mills in Yamanashi (14:15-19:48); Textile Mills in Wakayama (19:49-26:49); Textile Mills in Kyoto (26:50-36:05)
A viewing of all six films lasts approximately 40 minutes.
- Monday to Saturday: 10:00; 10:45; 11:30; 12:15; 13:00; 13:45; 14:30; 15:15; 16:00; 16:45; 17:30; 18:15; 19:00 – last screening ending at 19:45
- Sunday: 12:00; 12:45; 13:30; 14:15; 15:00; 15:45; 16:30; 17:15 – last screening ending at 18:00
Visiting the Hall
In setting up these screenings, Japan House London adheres to the latest UK Government guidelines. For the safety of yourself, other guests and staff, all guests wishing to attend this event are required to:
- Avoid visiting Japan House London if they have exhibited one or more symptom of coronavirus within the last 14 days.
- Sign into the Test & Trace app and scan the venue QR code upon their arrival.
- Use the hand sanitizer provided upon entry and exit to the venue, and wear a face covering at all times.
- Maintain a safe distance from others by adhering to the suggested seating arrangements or following instruction from the Japan House London staff.
- Please visit our COVID-19 webpage for more information about the measures we have implemented to ensure your safety.
*Please note that the Hall operates at a reduced capacity to allow for social distancing, and that at peak times you might be asked to wait before entering.
The exhibition MAKING NUNO Japanese Textile Innovation from Sudō Reiko is on display in the Japan House Gallery from 17 May until 11 July 2021.