Social Media Manager
- Reporting To: Director - Marketing & Communications
- Contract: Fixed term to 31 March 2024
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Closing Date: Friday 1 October (9am)
Purpose of the Role and Work Environment
The Social Media Manager (SMM) oversees all aspects of Japan House London’s presence on social media, from developing overall strategic direction based on audiences and trends to planning, writing and scheduling posts, polls and competitions which will drive audience engagement and achieve KPIs.
The SMM applies their comprehensive knowledge of all social media platforms to ensure that Japan House London content is in the right place to reach our target audiences and delivered in a way which excites and engages while staying perfectly on brand.
As part of the wider Marketing & Communications team, the SMM works with other team members to source content and integrate social campaigns into the overall marketing campaigns for exhibitions, events and the venue.
Through the coordination of internal team members, the SMM oversees effective community management which succeeds in developing social advocates who talk positively and enthusiastically about the brand.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions, this role will begin as a remote-first position, with a gradual return to an office environment.
- Some duties will be carried out in Japan House London public spaces
- Once normal office working is resumed, our aim is for a flexible approach to work locations, balancing on site presence and working from home. The mix of office-based working and remote working will be determined by business need and role requirements.
- The office is based at Japan House London, Kensington High Street or the satellite office on Allen Street W8, however, off-site work is occasionally required.
- The role involves occasional after-hours project-related tasks (evenings and weekends).
- This role can be undertaken flexibly over 4 or 5 days per week. Our standard working day is 8 hours including breaks.
Strategy, planning & channel management
- Defining and developing the strategic direction for Japan House London’s social media presence with the aim of achieving direct targets relating to followers, reach and engagement, as well as overall organisational goals.
- Developing and executing annual, monthly, weekly and daily social media plans for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest and LinkedIn, taking into account JHL’s overall content plan, exhibitions, events, seasonal changes and social media trends.
- Managing the overall social media budget, applying spend in the most effective way to achieve targets, and monitoring results to make changes where necessary.
- Be the authoritative voice on social media marketing within the organisation, staying up to date with changes in platforms, maintaining profiles, implementing any necessary modifications and making use of new opportunities.
Content and campaign creation
- Writing exciting and engaging posts that encourage dialogue with audiences and sourcing high quality imagery and video which achieve JHL’s aims.
- In collaboration with the Marketing Manager, creating and deploying social media advertising campaigns as well as the boosting of organic posts.
- Developing and running campaigns, competitions etc. as identified in the strategy with specific goals such as acquiring new followers, achieving likes or driving website traffic, in line with set KPIs.
- Helping the Programming Team to ensure that all events held at Japan House London are well attended through the creation of Social Media event pages and using boosts and promotions to well-defined audiences.
- Taking photos and video for use on social media, in line with branding guidelines.
- Translation of posts into Japanese – either directly or by overseeing external suppliers.
Ongoing channel / community management
- Coordinating and developing colleagues in regards to community management and development, ensuring they respond to comments and enquiries in a manner that will foster community growth and engagement and maintain JHL’s positive profile.
- Managing live posting and live streaming from events at Japan House London.
- Identifying suitable 3rd party content for sharing.
- Dealing with negative comments and interactions in a way that causes least damage to the brand.
- Working with the PR Manager and PR agency to forge new, and develop existing relationships with social media influencers that can raise the digital profile of JHL.
Research, analysis and reporting
- Using analytics to monitor and measure the performance of posts, using the results to optimise reach and engagement of future posts.
- Regularly monitoring audience activity, reporting to management on figures and using insights to make improvements to the social media plan as well as putting forward suggestions for the overall content plan.
- Monitor and share industry trends and best practice relevant to social media marketing for eCommerce
- Researching how similar organisations are using social media to achieve goals and implementing lessons learnt.
- Contribute to building Japan House London’s customer relationships database.
Necessary Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Appropriate tertiary qualification such as a degree or diploma in Digital Marketing, Advertising, or other related fields, preferably from a recognised institution including the Chartered Institute of Marketing and the Digital Marketing Institute
- Additional training and / or supplementary courses in Social Media Management.
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms, especially Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (including IGTV), LinkedIn, YouTube and Pinterest
- Social media scheduling and listening platforms (eg Sprout Social)
- Core IT skills including familiarity with online tools
- High level of proficiency in full MS Office suite. Photoshop also an advantage.
- Use of other software systems beneficial (eg CRM)
- At least 4 years’ professional experience in a similar role, having had overall responsibility for an organisation’s social media strategy and management.
- Experience of using social media scheduling and reporting platforms (preferably Sprout Social) as well as social listening tools.
- Use of analytics to monitor performance and alter strategy where necessary.
- Reporting to senior management on results.
- Exposure to relevant sector (Museum, Gallery, Arts, NFP, Visitor Attraction, Heritage Destination, Tourism Development or PR agency) preferred
- Previous experience in a project-office environment desirable
- Experience of developing social media channels for Ecommerce desirable, including creating shops on our social media channels
- An understanding of Japanese culture is preferred
- Excellent written and spoken English to native-level
- Japanese language skills would be advantageous but not essential
- Exceptional skills in writing specifically for social media
- Proven organizational, planning and strategy development skills
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively – able to utilise the appropriate approach for different situations
- Strong team management skills and ability to direct and coach colleagues on social media strategies
- Proficient in photography and able to edit good quality photos for social media
- Basic skills in taking and editing video for social media an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- A participative team player with an inclusive approach towards all colleagues
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work, whilst paying attention to detail
- Able to influence people whilst maintaining tact and cultural sensitivity
- Excellent time management skills
- The ability to be creative within the confines of a protected brand
Communicator: Able to convey messages effectively, to both wide and specific audiences
Goal-oriented : Results driven and striving for growth
Initiative: Responds creatively to opportunities, and generates new ones
Adaptable: Able to use a variety of tools, embrace change and add ideas
Enthusiastic: Passionate about the shared vision and mission
First round interviews will be held on Tuesday 5 and Wednesday 6 October on Zoom.
Second round interviews will be held at Japan House London on Tuesday 12 October.