- Reporting To: Facilities & Maintenance Manager
- Contract: Fixed term until September 2019 (with potential for renewal)
- Hours: Full time, with frequent after-hours project-related tasks (evenings and weekends)
- Closing Date: 12 April 2019
Purpose of the Role
The Maintenance Assistant will assist in the repair and upkeep of Japan House London’s premises, systems and procedures. This will include assisting in the maintenance and upkeep of facilities and the building management system (BMS) to a high standard. They will also be required, on occasion, to liaise and coordinate works with the landlord’s subcontracted Facilities Management contractor. The post-holder will support the F&M Manager and the wider Operations Management team in the effective, efficient and safe operation of Japan House as a public venue, always ensuring the very highest standards are maintained by all staff and third-party contractors.
Professional Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Appropriate qualifications in a relevant building maintenance related subject.
- Other relevant training, licences and certification are advantageous, such as trade based or Site Inspection NVQ, IOSH, COSHH, CITB or DBS
- First Aid training beneficial.
- Public-facing buildings operation and maintenance
- Carpentry/Decorating and Plumbing and basic awareness of Mechanical & Electrical plant and equipment.
- Health & Safety legislation and security procedures.
- The ability to read technical drawings and plans.
- Good knowledge of fire safety legislation.
- Tendering for work and contracts; knowledge of various types of standard building contracts including JCT Design & Build.
- High level of proficiency in full MS Office suite.
- Familiarity with other software programs, such as AutoCAD, systems would be beneficial.
- Proven experience working as Maintenance Support, Caretaker or Handyman at a comparable high-profile, public-facing organisation.
- Experience in planning maintenance operations.
- Experience of administration, including maintaining building records and files and insurance matters.
- Exposure to a relevant sector would be preferred (Museum, Gallery, Arts, NFP, Visitor Attraction, Heritage Destination or Tourism Development).
- An understanding of Japanese culture would be an advantage.
- Excellent written and spoken English, proficient to high business language standard is essential.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- A participative, team player with an inclusive approach towards all colleagues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong organizational, planning and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work, whilst paying attention to detail.
- Able to influence people whilst maintaining tact and cultural sensitivity.
- Excellent time management skills.
- A creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
- Other language skills, including Japanese, are advantageous.
- Competent: adequate training and experience to maintain high technical standards
- Supportive: monitor the environment and seek ways to enhance for staff and visitors alike
- Diligent: take ownership for completing tasks in accord with required specifications
- Trustworthy: personal responsibility and ownership for care of people, building, systems and assets
- Motivated: ensuring team and individual performance targets are met
- Enthusiastic: passionate about the shared vision and mission
- Flexibility: ability to dynamically assess and prioritise responsibilities and react according to business needs
To apply for this role please email us your CV and quote the job title 'Maintenance Assistant in the subject line.