Head of Project Management
- Reporting To: Head of Operations
- Contract: Initially, until 31 March 2024, with the possibility of renewal
- Hours: Full-time hours
- Closing Date: 30 September 2019
Purpose of the Role
This role is responsible for defining, planning and managing delivery of cross-organisational projects for Japan House London.
The job holder will be expected to drive projects forward in coordination with the respective teams and management boards/committees, ensuring successful delivery and an effective handover following project closure.
This role will focus on leading and providing expertise in project planning, initiation and approval, monitoring and evaluation, risk management, prioritization, lessons learned and project closures.
The role covers a full range of project management and support to drive work across the organisation. The project manager will work closely with various teams on new and ongoing projects. The role requires close liaison and relationship building with staff at all levels of seniority throughout the organisation, as well as external agencies and partners.
- Contribute to Japan House’s business and budget planning process.
- Ensure that Japan House meets its targets and support the delivery of organisational and strategic goals.
- Engage, proactively, with Directors and other managers to identify opportunities for business improvements.
- Management of projects with multiple delivery teams (may include internal staff, external contractors and experts).
- Manage the Project Teams, provide input to performance feedback and goal setting;
- Manage the administration for project submissions and approvals to MoFA via the Tokyo Liaison team through the agreed prioritization and approval process, maintaining a pipeline of approved projects.
- Ensures a clear and consistent approach is in place to manage risk with alignment to the Finance, Business and Corporate risk registers.
- Collate qualitative and quantitative information on project performance for the preparation and production of project reports for internal management purposes and MoFA, as required.
- Work closely other teams to devise, develop and deliver appropriate and proportionate systems to evaluate key activities at a project level.
Professional Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is preferred
- Recognised formal project management qualification (PMP/APMP/Prince2/P30 or equivalent) is desirable.
- Other relevant training, licences and certification are advantageous, such as trade based or Site Inspection NVQ, IOSH, COSHH, CITB or DBS
- First Aid training beneficial
- Financial awareness, including budget management and procurement
- Tendering for work and contracts
- High level of proficiency in full MS Office suite
- Use of other software systems beneficial
- Significant experience of Project Management including demonstrable skills in prioritization and planning, as well as track record of delivering projects on time and within budget.
- Experience of managing a range of projects, ideally including temporary exhibitions and international tours within a cultural organisation.
- Experience of working with international projects and partners.
- Ability to take ownership of Japan House’s Project Delivery Approach, its implementation, establishment and development.
- Experience of providing input to organisational business and budget planning.
- Team management and coaching experience with the ability to manage and motivate multi-disciplinary teams in a matrix environment. This should include the ability to work in a developing environment and to institute new standards, working methods and practices that result in improved efficiency and effectiveness whist maintaining morale and an enjoyable work environment for the team.
- Capability to provide timely, accurate and relevant project reporting.
- An understanding of Japanese culture and history would be an advantage.
Competent: expertise in professional, technical and specialist field
Diligent: take ownership for completing tasks in accord with required specifications
Trustworthy: personal responsibility and ownership for care of people, building, systems and assets
Motivated: ensuring team and individual performance targets are met
Enthusiastic: passionate about the shared vision and mission
To apply for this role please email us your CV and quote the job title ‘Head of Project Management’ in the subject line.
Please note that in line with the requirements of the Asylum & Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility will be required from candidates as part of the recruitment process. We cannot offer visa support.