Head of Audiences and Digital Content
- Reporting To: Director – Marketing & Communications
- Contract: Fixed Term until 31 March 2024
- Hours: Full Time
- Closing Date: 31 January 2022
Purpose of the Role
The Head of Audiences and Digital Content is responsible for two key areas of marketing, both of which are pivotal in achieving key objectives and targets for Japan House London.
Utilizing data collected from external research as well as analytics data from JHL’s digital channels, the post holder will continuously monitor and evaluate JHL’s target audiences, identifying key behaviours pertinent to marketing, and directing the rest of the team in optimizing their activities to reach and engage them. Success will be evidenced by an increase in marketing conversions, visitor numbers and the overall engagement of visitors.
The Head of Audiences and Digital Content is responsible for all of JHL’s owned digital media. Leading a team which includes a Social Media Manager and Website Manager, the post holder will draw on audience data, SEO and Content Marketing research as well as their own knowledge of Japanese culture to develop and manage an annual programme of content creation and curation which excites and engages JHL’s existing audiences and attracts new ones. Close collaboration with the Programming team and colleagues in Japan will ensure the authenticity of the content, maintaining Japan House London’s integrity and brand. Success in this role will be measured by increases in reach, engagement, SERP ranking and domain authority as well as referrals to our eCommerce site.
- Director – Marketing & Communications
- Social Media Manager
- Website Manager
- Executive Management Team
- Marketing and Communications, Programming, Corporate Development, Operations, Finance and The Shop.
- Retail, and Food & Beverage Partners
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Japan) and the Embassy of Japan in London
- Suppliers and Contractors
- Use research work from external consultants and internal data to develop a responsive audience strategy with clear targets to maximize the reach of, and engagement with, Japan House London’s content – both physical and digital.
- Lead other members of the team on implementing this strategy to build audiences and maximize the potential of marketing communications activities.
- Use data collected through visitor surveys, website cookies, social media channels and newsletter subscribers to continue to monitor audience segments and demographics and identify opportunities for new audience development.
- Manage team members to develop data collection and analysis techniques to constantly improve the quality and relevance of audience data.
- Work with the Corporate Development team to identify B2B audience segments.
- Seek out new opportunities for audience data capture and manage contracts with audience research partners.
- Regularly report to senior management team on audience data and its implications.
- Lead work on the segmentation of newsletter subscribers with the aim of delivering more relevant and customized communications.
- Accountable for developing and implementing a strategy for content marketing across all channels, forming part of the wider marketing strategy.
- Work in close collaboration with the Programming Team to develop a 12-month content calendar, linking in with exhibitions and events where appropriate or developing and sourcing stand-alone content.
- Work with our SEO supplier and the Website Manager to identify themes and topics for content creation, which are likely to generate online traffic while remaining true to the Japan House London brand.
- Manage the process of content creation and curation, at times writing content personally, but more often sourcing content from or outsourcing content creation to external suppliers (writers, photographers, videographers etc.). Ensure all contributors are fully briefed regarding target audiences, JHL brand and JHL tone of voice.
- Work with the Stakeholder Engagement Manager in Tokyo to source content and permissions from collaborators in Japan.
- Manage the process of recording JHL’s exhibitions and events in photograph and video, both for reporting purposes and for use in future marketing campaigns.
- Work in close collaboration with the Corporate Development Team and the Marketing Manager to develop content for Members and Venue Hire customers.
- Review all externally sourced and internally created content prior to distribution to ensure high quality, authenticity and consistency with the Japan House London brand and style guide.
- Monitor and report on the success of content (against KPIs) in driving website traffic, encouraging engagement and converting virtual visitors into physical ones.
- Line manage the Social Media and Website Managers, ensuring the team is working towards a unified goal and driving their professional development.
- Manage the Content Marketing budget
- Drive development of occasional interns.
- Other reasonable duties as allocated by the Directors.
- A particular feature of the Japan House way of working is the project team. All members of staff are expected to collaborate, from time to time, in cross functional teams to deliver specific projects and programmes of activity. The project teams are multi-disciplinary and bring together the skills and experience needed to deliver a wide range of shared initiatives and objectives. Teams may include experts from external companies or suppliers.