Finance Assistant (JHLE)
- Contract: This role is full-time, but we will consider requests for flexible or part-time working
- Hours: Normal working hours are eight hours per day, five days per week, with core hours from 10am to 3pm.
- Closing Date: 1 September, 17:00
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Finance Assistant will assist with the processing of accounts payable transactions of Japan House London's retail operation, as well as providing support to the retail team with purchases and stock control activities. The role will extend to all areas of accounts payable from authorisation through to payment, bank reconciliations, and stock control. The Finance Assistant will therefore have an integral role to play in the reporting of the Financial Statements.
The Finance Assistant will also be required to support the Financial Accountant and the Finance Director with the preparation of financial reports for the Retail Management Committee. This position would suit someone looking to expand their financial knowledge as the role will cover a range of financial tasks which are integral to the retail business.
- Maintain stock records to ensure accurate valuation and quantities
- Work with the Merchandising and Buying Manager to analyse stock and sales
- Make purchases on behalf of the retail team
- Ensure proper escalation, prioritisation, and remediation of issues so no backlogs occur
- Ensuring all invoices are approved in accordance with our internal processes and recorded promptly and accurately
- Preparation and review of payment runs as required
- Reconcile supplier accounts and review all supplier statements
- Liaise with suppliers and the retail team to resolve issues
- Raising sales invoices
- Assist with the month-end close including processing of accounting journals and reconciliations (inc. bank) as required
- Assist with production of monthly financial reports for the Retail Management Committee
- Assistance with ad hoc finance projects and queries as they arise
- Assist with JHLL accounts work as required
- Undertake clerical duties e.g. filing, etc.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS KNOWLEDGE &EXPERIENCE
- At least one year of experience in a finance or accounts-based role
- A finance-related bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university is preferred but not essential
- Experience working in a retail environment is preferred but not essential
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent written and spoken English, proficient to high business language standard
- Excellent Excel skills including pivot tables and vlookup
- An understanding of or interest in Japanese cultures is preferred
- Experience of working in or with Japan would be advantageous but not essential
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent time management skills, including ability to prioritise and work to strict deadlines
- Proactive, self-starter attitude; helping to improve processes and reduce likelihood of errors
- Our aim is for a flexible approach to work locations, balancing regular on-site presence and working remotely. The mix of office-based working and remote working will be determined by business need and role requirements.
- Some duties will be carried out in Japan House London public spaces
- Office is based at Japan House London, Kensington High Street, or the satellite office on Allen Street W8, however, off-site work is occasionally required.
- Normal working hours are eight hours per day, five days per week, with core hours from 10am to 3pm.
- This role is full-time, but we will consider requests for flexible or part-time working