Retail Financial Analyst
- Reporting To: Financial Controller
- Contract: Fixed term until March 2024
- Hours: Flexible. Part time (minimum 24 hours per week) or Full time (40 hours per week)
- Closing Date: Friday 21 January, 9am
Purpose of the Role
To manage the financial accounting activities and reporting for the Japan House London Enterprises (JHLE) retail operation. To be the key source of financial data for the Retail Management Committee (RMC) and the Company Board, and work with them on forecasting and budget planning, as well as responding to queries and providing expert advice that will shape the future of Japan House London’s retail operation.
To optimise the sales and profitability of the retail operation through analysis and review of financial performance and business drivers. To provide insight, analysis and commentary to stakeholders translating financial and performance data into tangible actions to drive business results.
To analyse monthly key financial indicators, from sales performance, to monitoring costs and stock reconciliations, highlighting key areas of focus for the coming months and to deliver regular reporting commentary. To help the retail management committee to make informed business decisions to push profitability and efficiency.
- Board of Directors
- Retail Management Committee (RMC)
- Marketing & Communications Team
- Other teams and members of the Japan House London team
- Retail Consultant
Key Duties and Tasks
- Success in this role will mean being able to deliver timely, robust and accurate analysis; translating data into valuable business insight, communicating all relevant financial and non-financial information
- Analytical support and reporting commentary to the retail team to help make sound business decisions across sales, margin, stock and layout
- Manage all accounting activities for the retail operation including preparation of Management Accounts, Financial Reports & Retail Performance Analysis (KPI)
- Provision of regular insight into the drivers of performance
- Perform ad hoc analysis to help assess the success of trading initiatives and activities
- Supporting Executive Director and Retail Manager with the annual budgeting process and subsequent iterations throughout the year for retail operation
- Build business cases for new opportunities and initiatives including new product categories
- Produce accurate Management Reports (including sales reporting, profitability reporting, budgeting, and monthly forecasts)
- Monthly costs variance analysis and reporting, monitoring costs and KPIs, and providing value-adding commentary to explain movements highlighting focal areas and challenging actions
- SKU profitability analysis, work alongside the retail teams to maximise the performance of product range (including: annual/weekly/daily performance vs targets; conversion and ATV; category and product return on space; top selling lines and availability)
- Product Planning Support including: OTB, import costs, margin, product lifecycle, supplier income analysis; concession performance; new product planning, promotional activity effectiveness and aging / writing down of stock
- eCommerce reporting including: sales to target; best sellers; product profitability;
- Monitor and address any inaccuracies or missing information between various data sources
- Working with the stock controller to make sure stock figures are accurate, and overseeing stock reconciliations, quarterly cyclical counts, annual audit
- Bank and suppliers’ statements reconciliations review
- Ensuring all invoices are approved and paid in accordance with internal processes
- Management of the Finance Assistant in conjunction with the Financial Accountant
- Producing month end reporting including Management Accounts, Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow Statement
- Posting month-end journals to the general ledger including intercompany transactions.
A particular feature of the Japan House way of working is the project team. All members of staff are expected to collaborate, from time to time, in cross functional teams to deliver specific projects and programmes of activity. The project teams are multi-disciplinary and bring together the skills and experience needed to deliver a wide range of shared initiatives and objectives. Teams may include experts from external companies or suppliers.