- Reporting To: Associate Director – Operations & Services
- Contract: Fixed term until March 2024
- Hours: Full time (40 hours per week) with occasional out-of-hours requirement
- Closing Date: Thursday 29 July 2021
Purpose of the Role & Key Duties
The Executive Officer will ensure that Japan House will function efficiently and effectively by implementing and overseeing administrative processes. This will include the preparation and organisation of information, documentation such as meeting minutes and other records across Japan House. This will also include providing full administrative assistance, clerical support and diary management to the Projects Board and Project Teams.
Key duties include:
- Provide administrative support to the operational departments for Corporate Development, Finance & Compliance, Marketing & Communications, Operations & Services and Programming.
- Responsible for internal meetings organisation. Prepare for and circulate agendas / minutes of key recurring internal meetings.
- Design, implement and regulate office operational policies and procedures to support Japan House’s activities.
- Manage the recording and scheduling of Japan House’s contractual agreements.
- Create itineraries and PowerPoint presentations for the Directorate as required.
- Assist Directorate in responding to queries, phone calls and invitations by taking forward such contacts as appropriate including liaising with Retail, Restaurant, and other internal colleagues.
- Ad hoc research/assistance with projects for Directorate.
- Assist the directorate in the processing of expenses and invoices.
- Ensure guests meeting on site are well taken care of.
- Act as secretary to the Directorate, ensuring that the agenda and papers for weekly meetings are prepared on time and to a high standard.
- Co-ordinate, plan and deliver monthly and quarterly whole team briefings / meetings. Sourcing venues for larger group meetings where Japan House facilities are not available.
- Organize, monitor, maintain and audit Japan House’s record keeping systems, databases, files, and procedures.
- Organize the office, maintaining supplies of stationery, furniture, equipment, and welfare supplies. Responsible for maintenance of office equipment, including computers and photocopy machines.
- Manage Office subscriptions to magazines and online resources.
- Estimating,recording,andmonitoringtheofficesupplybudget.Reviewandapproveofficesupplyacquisitions, placing orders, checking deliveries and invoices, as appropriate.
- Manage the Japan House London (JHL) switchboard answering incoming calls for general enquiries.
- Follow up on phone calls and contacts as appropriate.
- Monitor generic inboxes and disseminate/update information as required, answering emails and postal correspondence with the public, stakeholders, and contractors as well as feedback received through several channels.
- Liaise with our external IT provider to ensure Laptop and Mobile devices are set up correctly and delivered as required.
- Support with IT setup for new joiners to Japan House London.
- Act as a Microsoft 365 administrator ensuring details are kept up to date across Users, Teams, SharePoint, and Exchange.
- Coordinate Dynamics CRM Database management, Event set up, Guest list building and management as well as reporting on key KPI outcomes.
- Engage proactively with Directors and other managers to support the administration of projects from start to finish.
- Support the management of projects with multiple delivery teams (may include internal staff, external contractors, and experts).
- Support the Project teams, provide input to performance feedback and goal setting.
- Manage the administration for project submissions and approvals to Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) via the Tokyo Liaison team through the agreed prioritisation and approval process, maintaining a pipeline of approved projects.
- Ensure a clear and consistent approach is in place across Japan House projects to manage risk with alignment to the Finance, Business and Corporate risk registers.
- Collate qualitative and quantitative information on project performance for the preparation and production of project reports for internal management purposes and MoFA, as required.
- Work closely with other teams to devise, develop and deliver appropriate and proportionate systems to evaluate key activities at a project level.
- Support Japan House in meeting its targets and support the delivery of organisational and strategic goals.
- Provide high level administrative support to the Projects Board, including organising, coordinating, and administering meetings.
- Ensure a good flow of information between the Projects Board and project managers.
- Be the first point of contact within the Project Management Office for the external and third-party project teams and collaborators.
- Coordinate and distribute Projects Board and Executive Management Committee papers.
- Organize internal meetings and meetings with the wider project teams, including producing and circulating agendas and taking minutes.
- Oversee risk registers and issues logs.
- Oversee project governance making certain that it adheres to the Japan House project management methodology.
- Ensure all documents are kept up to date and are correctly filed electronically.
- Ensure projects are closed down effectively upon completion, including coordinating post project reviews; transferring knowledge effectively from project teams; and gathering and managing lessons learned as part of continuous business and project management improvement.
- Maintain project directories, including contact details and information processes.
Health & Safety
- Provide administrative support to the Associate Director – Operations & Services and Head of Building Services for the Health and Safety management of Japan House London premises.
- Responsible for reviewing and updating the internal database and managing communications regarding health and safety.
- Use the Company’s CRM System to produce and input method and risk assessments (RAMS).
- Update, support and maintain the Health and Safety administration processes and records as directed, accurately and timely. Reviewing systems in place and recommending areas for development.
- Ensure Health and Safety related documentation is completed and filed correctly, formulating a plan to address action points.
- Assist with the scheduling of equipment inspections, maintenance, facilities, etc. Performing remote audits with the Maintenance Assistant and log and tracking equipment on internal asset registers.
- Manage certificates and ongoing compliance, updating skills and training records while keeping H&S notices updated and distributed throughout JHL.
- Assist with planning and compiling of Health and Safety reports for meetings and reporting to the Board.
- Maintain a safe and secure working environment, reviewing and updating health and safety policies and ensuring they are observed.
- Schedule DSE assessments for staff working from home as required.
- Manage health and safety and evacuation procedures within the office.
- Co-ordinating and tracking against JHL Strategic / Annual Plans / Annual Targets producing regular reports for the JHLL Board or EMC against the progress the plans and targets.
- Compiling timesheets for all JHL employees.
- Maintain fixed asset register.
Professional Qualifications, Knowledge & Experience
- Appropriate tertiary qualification (e.g. diploma in Business Administration, or related business management field) or equivalent
- Additional training and / or supplementary courses completed in associated administrative, clerical, finance, project management or business areas also advantageous.
- Knowledge of accounting, budgeting and other financial practices
- High level of proficiency in full MS Office suite
- Use of other software systems, such as Microsoft Dynamics, beneficial
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in an administrative or secretarial role with responsibility for executive- level correspondence, administration, travel and diary management
- Exposure to sector (Museum, Arts, NFP, Visitor Attraction or Heritage Destination) preferred
- An understanding of Japanese culture and history would be an advantage.
- Some experience of management advantageous
- Excellent written and spoken English, proficient to high business language standard is essential.
- Japanese language skills, advantageous.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- A participative team player with an inclusive approach towards all colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work in a fast-moving environment ▪ Attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Able to influence people whilst maintaining tact and cultural sensitivity ▪ Excellent time management skills
- A creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements
- Assimilation and understanding of complex and sensitive information.
- The responsibilities of this role will require the job holder to be based primarily on site and there will be limited flexibility for remote working.
- Based at Japan House London on Kensington High Street
- Standard 8 hours per day, five days per week
- Occasional after-hours project-related tasks (evenings and weekends)